Sunday, September 15, 2013

Ransom Room

Hello. I am your tour guide for your trip to the Ransom Room/Cuarto del Rescate.(Spanish lesson: In Spanish they say Room of Rescue, even though they didn't rescue Atahualpa.) If you want to see it, look. Seek and you will find. The ransom room was a place that the Spaniards collected ransom. They got the ransom because they were holding the Incan king, Atahualpa (pronounced A-ta-wuall-pah) hostage. That is how they conquered the Incas. The Ransom Room is there because that is where they put their ransom. The Incas had to bring gold to fill the room. It took a long time, since they had to bring the gold by llama. So, while the Incas were bringing the money, the Spaniards slowly took the gold away. In consequence, the room never got filled. So, they burned Atahualpa alive. Hey, my story wasn't THAT boring!

Front CoverOne book that I like (which was a Newberry award winner by the way) is Secret of the Andes. The picture of the cover is shown in the picture by the right of this text. Also, the movie preview is above the text. It mentions the Ransom Room. The book is about a little boy named Cusi (pronounced Ku-ci), about 12 years old, and he's an Inca llama shepherd boy. He figures out a secret - to figure out what it is, read the book. The boy ate parched corn while he walked. Parched corn is Peruvian popcorn, but not inside out. It's like bread on the inside. Many Peruvian restaurants serve cancha (parched corn, shown in the picture below.).We ate the parched corn at the restaurant that we ate at when
we went to the ransom room.
Below is a photo of the cathedral right outside the restaurant that we went to for lunch. It was right by the Ransom Room. 









See? Right by the ransom room. The ransom room is the brown place. The restaurant is the Restaurant El Gordo 2. Gordo means fat, and its funny that the fat guy is right outside the restaurant. See the window above the restaurant? Since we ate on the second floor, we could look out that window. That's where we took the picture of the cathedral from.

This is the window that we took the picture from. Can you see Dad in this picture? I think the lighting is cool. And I didn't edit it much.
Guess what Kai ate on the second floor of the restaurant!
Did you guess chicken, turkey, beef, stake, or goat?
If you did, WRONG! Kai ate cuy, a national dish that is just guinea pig, cooked. Who would like that dish? Who thinks it's sad? Me. Poor guinea pig. They do this all over the place.
"See" you next time!

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you, having had a pet guinea pig before, that is SAD! Did Kai like the taste? Cancha though sounds yummy :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cancha isn't that yummy, but when I'm hungry, I eat it. Kai didn't find much meat on it, mostly skin.
      Sierra

      Delete
  2. Hi this is your classmate Sofia from Mrs. Wymans class! Wow that sounds wonderful! My favorite part is when you said that Kai ate that guinea pig! It sounds sad and funny at the same time! Yah, I know right poor guinea pig! I have two guinea pigs my self! Just thinking about that makes me shiver! My guinea pig is named Peaches. My sisters Gabi is named Daisy. Mines a short haired guinea pig, my sisters is a long haired guinea pig. Well your trip sounds amazing so far. Hope to see what you post next time! Bye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Once, at a restaurant called Castope, (cast-o-pe) we saw people taking out the guinea pigs intestines. Ewwww! We also saw them hanging up after they cooked. Gross!
      Oh boy, so overwhelming!

      Delete
  3. Hi Sierra my name is Luke I really like your post about the guinea pig. I feel sorry for it but it does look yummy.Also that view looks amazing.What kind of books do you like to
    read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kai said that it didn't have much meat, it was mostly skin and cartilage. Quote:"That's why guinea pigs are so flexible!" end quote.
      I like to read any book, pretty much. I like reading very thick books. I like reading fantasy, mostly. Any book is so fun to read! I can never read all that I want! Some of my favorite books are Ella Enchanted, the Fablehaven series, The Familiars series, and the Molly Moon series.
      Sierra

      Delete