Monday, November 11, 2013

El Bichito: My Work







Who? What? Where? When? Why?

Oh, just some often asked questions about... well, anything in general. El Bichito Post Plan:

Who? 

Kids. Every day we go downstairs for 2 hours with kind of random kids. They all live in Puyllucana (puy-you-cana), some go to the school here in Puyllucana and some to the Banos (ban-yos) school. Most are between 7 and 11 years old.



                          



What? 

Helping. We help them do their homework. We give them semi-nutritious meals, rice and beans. Sometimes noodles, sometimes potatoes, but always rice. Mom is starting a carrot-thing. Apparently, the kids don't know what carrots are. Every time we bring them out, they crowd around Mom, eating and throwing carrots. And they throw them all over the floor. Mom gets mad once and a while. We also entertain them. Jump-roping, jewelry-making, marble-running, and math-sheet-doing. The basement is a place to help.



Where?

The basement (that might be a little confusing--the building is between two streets and on a hill, so our rooms are on the ground floor for the door we normally use, but the dining/class room is downstairs and the ground floor for the door the kids use). The comedor. The dining room, which is the English-Spanish way to translate comedor. The place where kids go around screaming half giving my family a panic attack. To be specific, Puyllucana, Cajamarca, Peru.




When?

1 to 3 my time, 11 to 1 Mountain Standard Time. 2 hours. Every weekday excepting holidays. Every season but Summer, which starts in December and also doesn't exist because we are so close to the equator and high in the mountains.

Why? 

For education. For happiness. For healthiness. But, I guess, it's not supposed to be for torture. Have you ever heard of natural destruction, or cruelty, or sadness? What about charity or humanitarian services? Anti things, right? Which one would you choose? Second choice. That's why we're here.







Glad you know what's happening, really, here in Puyllucana, Cajamarca, Peru!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, this is one of your classmates Sofia. That’s really nice that you're helping those kids out. They must be thankful. That was really descriptive, I really got a picture in my mind of what the house looks like. I like how you told us what they sometimes eat and what they always eat. I like rice too. I just wouldn’t want to eat it every day. Those kids are lucky to have you there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Sofia. They aren't really tahnkful. They're like: "Sierra costa selba!" which is the three parts of Peru: Mountain, coast, jungle. They tease me for my name. They also say "Cierra la puerta!" which means close the door, still teasing me for my name. The only person grateful is my friend Milagros. I help her with homework everyday, since she's a 3rd grade level. I can help her a lot. You can see my post about her, if you want. Oh, and the house is bigger than that. You can read my post El Bichito: My Home to learn more about the whole house, but yes, I bet the basement looks like that. At least It's white reice. They say you can get parasites from eating it. I just don't eat it because I'm boresd of rice. I won't get parasites. Oh, adn that's just embarrasing. Glad I have a friend in my class.

      Delete